Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Homemade Lavender Laundry Sauce ~ CHEAP and EFFECTIVE!!!

     Okay, I seriously thought I posted this in APRIL, only to see it as a draft when I logged in today. Oops! Please feel free to read my blog, and check out the bottom for an update on how the product is still working for me now.

     Who hasn't wanted to find a great detergent that take out stains, whitens whites and brightens brights? That seems to be what all the top brand of laundry detergents claim they do, but most of the time my laundry begins to look a little grungy, dingy or stained up fairly quickly, and for a mom who sells at JBF (see my Congisnment Sales Blog) it is IMPERATIVE that our laundry looks it's best when my little ones have outgrown their gently used, but well loved items. We started with Tide with Stain Fighter but it has always been cost prohibitive, then Surf, and it did great for a while, then went to All Free and Clear (sensitive skin alert), then tried Gain because my hubby likes the scent (fragrance DID NOT last as long as they claim!) and  now we are back to Tide and using Dreft for my Little Lady. I CANNOT pay $26.00 for a bottle of Tide again, especially when the original formula I loved is no longer available and, once again, I feel like our clothes are looking a little dingy........ughh.

     We have a front loading washer and stacked dryer, which I love, but sometimes I miss my good old fashioned top loader, especially whenever I want to soak something overnight, and one  of my favorite benefits of our front loader is that I can see the cycle, and I feel like I can see my clothes getting clean because of the suds, but I just learned (um, duh! really I didn't know this) that most detergent companies add an ingredient to make the soap lather and foam, that the foam is NOT what is cleaning our clothes, foamy soap is a FRAUD! I feel like I have been lied to my whole life. Hand soap, body soap, dish soap, laundry soap...........all a lie! So, after learning of this lifelong fraud I decided to look up some recipes for homemade laundry soap and Pintrest, once again, has not let me down. Now, I looked, and looked, and looked some more until I found a recipe that sounded good to me, and would have my favorite lavender fragrance, AND has fabric softener built in, SCORE! I found Budget101 Lavender Super Laundry Sauce recipe and decided that I was going to make my own laundry detergent, around $2.00 and I can make 128 loads, and it only takes 1 Tablespoon of detergent to clean a load of laundry!

     So I set out to get the ingredients, of which I already had the Purex Lavender Crystals, and I found the Washing Soda and Borax easily enough, but could NOT locate the Fels Naptha (what the heck kind of name is that? Check the blurb at the bottom....). I tried three different Wal-Mart Stores, A Kroger, Tom Thumb and Albertson's, they all had Zote Soap, but the recipe specifically says use Fels Naptha if you want the stain removal abilities, so I continued to look. FINALLY, on a Milk run to my closest Wal-Mart I saw someone restocking the Fels Naptha, I grabbed 4 bars, because at .99 a bar I could afford a little room for experimentation. WooHoo! I am ready to give it a shot, and I have the perfect load of laundry to try it on!

     So, the next morning, after I get the big boys off to school and work, I set out to make my detergent while the Little Ladybug sleeps in. Good thing too because the smell is fairly powerful. I open the doors for a bit of a breeze and to carry the strength away, not a bad smell, just strong. So I follow the directions explicitly and IT WORKED!!!! My detergent did exactly what it was supposed to do, so I broke the thick layer with my wooden spoon , popped on my old (very tired and useless) blender base and whipped up some laundry detergent. Pretty simple really, the hardest part was waiting for the Fels Naptha to melt away. Now us try it on some gardening clothes, then a Tinker Bell and Fairy Friends Toddler bed set I got at a JBF sale (FOUR PIECES FOR $3.00!!!!!), then some kitchen towels. EVERY TIME the load came out clean and fresh smelling from the washer and static free and still fresh smelling from the dryer. All clothes seem a little whiter, a little brighter, and FEEL cleaner to the touch. I know this sounds weird, but I am a true believer and may never go back to store bought laundry detergents!

     My only hints to this recipe is to be sure to finely grate your soap, or grate it then put it into a MagicBullet. Blending it for a few seconds worked great, and since it is soap you can just wash it out really good and run it through the dishwasher. If you are dissatisfied with your store bought laundry detergent, whether it be because of the financial aspect, or the lack of cleanliness, give this a shot. You, too, may vow never to go back to the expensive jugs of pre-made liquid and instead choose the Super Laundry Sauce!

Blurb: Fels Naptha, where did the name come from? Well, the Fels part comes from the inventor, Joseph Fels, who originally made the product to cut through the oils in Poison Ivy and Poison Oak and the Naptha part is a name for the solvent originally used in the soap. Interesting....

UPDATE:
     So, I have been using this Lavender Laundry Sauce for over two months now, and it still works great for getting out stains, BUT I have noticed that my Ladybug's baby clothes are becoming worn out faster, and are 'pilling' more than with traditional detergents. It still seems to work fine on my big boy's clothing, and most of my own, but I have reverted to Dreft for the Ladybug. I am a consignor mama, so her clothes need to look their best for resale. ALSO, I only use this powerful detergent on my towels about every three washes, as it seemed to make them a little bristly.  

7 comments:

  1. Hi there! I don't know if you'll see this comment, but here's my answer to your question on my blog about training panties (http://mommysmakingamess.blogspot.com/2010/12/cloth-training-pants.html): You can definitely use a different fabric but if you use one without stretch, you will have to make the panties a bit bigger. Definitely make one test pantie before cutting a bunch. The reason I chose fleece is because it's slightly water resistant so small accidents wouldn't go straight through my little one's pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moxi, if you add a half-cup of vinegar to each load (I put it in the "fabric softener" dispenser), you won't have any trouble with "bristly" laundry, or pilling.

    I make this recipe (long before it got its title) a half-dozen different ways (with my own coconut soap & Castile soap, Zote, Fels Naptha, and Ivory, depending on who's ordering it) in five-gallon batches to sell at the farmer's market, and regardless of the recipe hack, I include a note on the label that reads "Add a 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of every load to keep clothes soft."

    Fat Farmgirl Laundress <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I substitute Borax for "White King ultra Water Softener & Laundry Detergent Booster"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know because I've never heard of that product, however; if it is a similar product and consistency I would say give it a try! I always think it's best to use what works best for you and is readily available on your area.

      Delete
  5. So how exactly do you add the crystals? New at this sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to visiting your blog again. Thank you for sharing with us!best jewelry cleaner

    ReplyDelete